I never claimed to be perfect, in fact I always believed that I was far from it. It didn’t matter how many degrees I had or how many awards I received. I never believed that I was good enough. I worked a full-time job, with a husband and a toddler, while building a brand. No matter what anyone said, I still doubted myself. I suffered from Impostor Syndrome.
Maya Angelou once said, “I have written eleven books, but each time I think ‘Uh oh, they’re going to find out now. I’ve run a game on everybody, and they’re going to find me out.”
Imposter Syndrome, by definition is a psychological condition that causes feeling of self-doubt or fear of being exposed as a fraud. Impostors tend to be overworked and are often perfectionists. Success does not equal happiness.
Yep, that was me. I own it. It wasn’t until I decided to FLY, that I realized the need to overcome it.
Here are 5 Ways to FLY AWAY from Impostor Syndrome:
- What you tell yourself is important. If you are constantly speaking negatively to yourself, that is what you believe. Ya’ll know I love affirmations. Tell yourself, “I AM Enough.” Now believe it.
2. Stop Comparing Yourself
- This was a tough one for me. In today’s society, “comparison is the thief of joy.” You have to believe that you are unique and “they can steal the recipe but the sauce won’t taste the same.” Once you realize that, you win.
3.Talk to Someone About It
- It’s Mental Health Month and talking to therapist definitely a way to overcome Impostor Syndrome. A licensed therapist can help you to sort out your feelings and provide tools to work around them.
4. Acknowledge your accomplishments
- Pat yourself on the back! Acknowledge that you are a BIG DEAL. You earned that degree or that promotion. I hung up my licenses and degrees in my home office.
5. Know your worth
- We hear that a lot, but do you what that means? You have to know that you are valuable. You have to believe that your existence adds value to any situation.
Do you have Impostor Syndrome? Here’s the Impostor Test.
Let me know your results!